Pepsico Grants for Student Research Travel
PepsiCo fellowships are awarded to outstanding Columbia graduate students to support semester and summer travel to Russia, Eurasia, and East Central Europe, for the purposes of conducting research. In exceptional cases, travel to make a research presentation at a conference in the region may be supported. (Travel within the U.S. or to other regions is not supported.)
All applicants must meet current Columbia University travel requirements (see Travel Notice below).
Fellowship recipients are required to submit a brief trip report within six weeks of their return.
- Proposal – (2 page max.) Please include research project title, dates of proposed travel, and indicate for which semester/summer you are applying. Please include any arrangements you have made with the host institution; priority is given to applicants with invitations.
- Itemized budget – Please include the actual cost of airfare. Maximum award: $3,500; smaller requests are encouraged.
- Curriculum vitae/résumé – Must include information on academic standing, as well as your Columbia PID number.
- One confidential letter of recommendation (emailed directly by your recommender to Xan Faber at firstname.lastname@example.org).
Due to Russia’s war on Ukraine as well as COVID restrictions, travel to the region will be limited. Recipients of the fellowship will need to follow the travel policy that is in effect as of January 18, 2022 as well as any other travel restrictions related to the war. Please review the relevant procedures. If traveling internationally, recipients must submit proof of travel approval before the Harriman Institute can release funds.
Columbia University requires that all members of the University community comply with specific procedures for international Columbia travel. Please consult the university travel policy for any changes.
Please note: Countries in our region have varying risk levels. Please consult Columbia's travel policy for guidelines on determining risk level and appropriate course of action.
For vaccinated students:
Columbia students must register their international Columbia Travel through the University’s Global Travel portal and complete other pre-departure travel requirements as follows:
- For travel to insignificant-risk and low-risk locations, these affiliates are required to register international Columbia Travel.
- For travel to medium-risk locations, these affiliates are required to register international Columbia Travel and have their itinerary reviewed by ISOS.
- For travel to high-risk locations, these affiliates are required to register international Columbia Travel, have their itinerary reviewed by ISOS, and secure written approval from their dean or unit head.
- For travel to extreme-risk locations, these affiliates are required to register international Columbia Travel, have their itinerary reviewed by ISOS, and secure written approvals from their dean or unit head and, for Morningside affiliates, from the Provost, and for CUMC affiliates, from the EVP and Dean of the Faculties of Health Sciences and Medicine.
For unvaccinated students with approved exemptions, international Columbia travel is not permitted.
This applies to travel both from the U.S. to non-U.S. countries and between non-U.S. countries, including after a return to a non- U.S. country of residence. Requests should be submitted prior to booking travel and at least 30 days prior to the commencement of travel.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.